In this post
The Sunshine Blogger Award 2018
Whaaaaaat? We got nominated for The Sunshine Blogger Award 2018! Well, that’s unexpected! We did not even know such award existed, not even thinking of receiving it. That definitely brought some sunshine to our day! We got nominated by @Roadsandrunways – Richard & Sarah, two travel bloggers from the United Kingdom. Without further ado, let’s dive in and see how this supportive blogger award works out!
What is The Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award sound really sweet! We absolutely love the name! This award is awarded by bloggers to new bloggers to recognize their achievements and offer support. We are part of such a supportive community and it makes us proud!
What are the rules of The Sunshine Blogger Award?
- Thank the blogger who nominated you in the blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
Our questions from Roads and Runways
1. What inspired you to start your blog?
So many people ask us how we can afford to travel, and so many times we tell them that it is possible to travel cheaply. Thus, we wanted to share our knowledge on how to travel cheaply and travel long term. We want to teach people how we do it as we go! That is how Travel Lit came to be. Also, because traveling might be the single best thing in the world that makes you richer and educates you, as well as allows you to meet new friends all around the world.
2. Do you have any tips to give to anyone new to blogging?
Write from your heart and always be honest. Be yourself and try to find your voice. Read, re-read and practice all the time. Gather inspiration and ideas from other fellow travel bloggers and implement your newly acquired knowledge step by step. At first, we were lost and we had no idea how to build a blog, but countless hours reading tutorials and through trial and error we have done it. And if we could do it, anyone can!
3. What do you enjoy most about blogging?
We enjoy reading comments on our posts as well as getting questions from the readers. It is the most important thing to help us plan on what to write about next. We love meeting new people who have found us through our blog and we absolutely love giving tips about secret places to visit and how to do it cheaply!
4. Where is the best place that you have ever visited and why?
Cuba. Cuba will always have this special place in our hearts as the place of smiles, warmth, rum and music everywhere. We spent just a week in Cuba and experienced the tropical storm passing us at a stranded hotel while drinking rum and singing songs, because there was not much we could do about the situation, thus, we might as well have fun. This way of living has taught us to take things easy, worry less about things you cannot change and enjoy the moment. Cuba is magical.
5. What is your favourite way to travel?
We love slow, land travel. Linda particularly does not like flying and we love trains. Whenever train travel is an option, we choose that. Another thing is getting around by motorbike. We have motorbiked around the whole South East Asia and it is by far the simplest, most flexible and cheapest way to get to places. But we also love traveling by bus through Europe, as it might also be the cheapest option, apart from hitchhiking. We have never really hitchhiked in our lives (booo on us, we know). Land travel offers beautiful, scenic views, local atmosphere and does not break the bank.
6. What item could you not travel without and why?
Our phone and laptops, camera and other electronics. As we work and travel simultaneously we need our equipment to be able to shoot videos for our Youtube and create beautiful shots for our Instagram. For a month in the Philippines we had only 1 laptop and no phone, oh, that was an adventure. No clock, no maps, no communication with anybody apart when rarely we had internet on our 1 laptop. That was an interesting experience, especially because we almost could not work, thus, it was a forced vacation from a vacation, haha.
7. What destination are you visiting next?
We are currently packing up our stuff and leaving Thailand, Chiang Mai, after 2 beautiful months here. As we wanted to settle down for a moment and plan our next trips. We are leaving for Cambodia soon, then heading back to Singapore to fly to Greece. We decided to spend the summer in Europe, to stay warm and meet our family and friends. Thus, first up is Greece, then Cyprus, then Jordan, then Malta, then Latvia and then off to Germany, Czech Republic, Spain, Italy, Morrocco (hopefully) and then… we have no idea. Either we will head to Latin America for 6-8 months and then move to Asia, or move to Thailand directly.
8. What are the top 5 destinations that you would like to visit and why?
We love nature and rich culture. Also, we love Latino rhythms and Spanish language. One of the top destinations is Colombia, because of the Digital Nomad scene, the amazing nature and Latino culture. The same goes for Chile and Central American countries. We are also looking forward to visiting Middle East countries such as Kazakhstan. Then, a must is Iceland (once we have loads of money, as it is VERY expensive) and South Africa. There is so much hype going around about South Africa that we cannot wait to get there, to explore it ourselves.
9. Have you set any travel goals for 2018?
Our travel goals are pretty much everything under Question 7 and then, around September – we’ll see either it’s Latin America or back to Asia. Hopefully, we will plan our Latin America destinations and make it there!
10. When not travelling what do you enjoy doing at home?
Currently, we are travelling full-time and pursuing a Digital Nomad lifestyle so we don’t really have a home. Sounds sad if you say it out loud “We don’t have a home”. However, after a couple of more months or maybe a year we are planning on establishing a home base, most likely in Thailand, to call our home. Thus, we can take our travels from there.
Our questions to the nominees
- How long ago did you realize your passion is travelling and how?
- If you could have only one thing while travelling, only one, what would it be?
- Do you prefer warm climates and beaches or cold climates and mountains?
- What is one thing that scares you about travelling? What makes you at unease sometimes?
- Where do you get your travel inspiration from? Instagram, blogs, Pinterest? How do you find them?
- Do you ever get homesick? When does the feeling usually hit?
- What is the single best thing about travelling? ONLY ONE!
- Are you a natural person or a city dweller? Do you enjoy architecture and cafes or lush greenery?
- What is the most ridiculous and funny thing that has happened to you on the road?
- Which country would you say have the happiest, kindest, most welcoming people?
- On the spot, right now. What would be your ideal travel route for 12 months on a low budget?
Our awesome nominees
- @Diego Bonomo amazing Photographer from Palermo, Sicily!
- @TheAsianAbroad, Nora, a girl from Singapore on the pursuit to find herself!
- @Wihardja, Dewi Wihardja brings out the Italian vibes.
- @The Hungry Traveller’s Expedition Solo traveller in search of great food around the world.
- @That Travelholic Photographer Flawless design, feminine photography and adventures in China.
- @I Heart You World, Kat Casey with her environmentally friendly travel approach is a gem.
- @The Nameless Blog, Alfredo encourages the world to be our classroom, raw adventures around the world!
- @Traveleidoscope, Tina tells her travel experiences around more than 70 countries in a beautiful way.
- @wayfaringkiwi, Yvette is a brave solo female traveller, who tells about her adventures in a very engaging way.
- @Fabulous and Nothing a blogger supermom travelling, with a passion for food and fashion!
- @TheGreatAmbini, Amber wanted to be a magician but ended up writing a travel blog, well that’s almost the same thing! Great!
Well, this is it! We really did not know we are a part of such a great and supportive community! In the wolf-eat-wolf world we live in it is great to have people supporting each other and helping each other up instead of tearing each other down!